Can you make an accident claim [Road Traffic Accident (RTA)]?

The number of Road Traffic Accidents and Road Traffic Collisions are on the rise. In the UK the percentage of road traffic accidents have increased and the law requires all UK drivers to have insurance cover of some type either; Fully comprehensive, Third Party only or Third Party fire and theft.

You may be entitled to make a car accident claim regarding your road traffic accident and any injuries that you sustained as a result of that road traffic accident and is clearly the fault of the third party involved in the accident.

Whether you were a driver, passenger in the vehicle, taxi driver or passenger in a taxi, cyclist or pedestrian that had an accident with the vehicle or car this gives you the right to claim compensation for your vehicle damage and any injury or pain suffered, medical expenses, loss of income, loss of potential income, and other loss of expenses that are all specifically related to the car accident. How much compensation you get for your claim is dependant on injuries sustained and circumstances of the accident.

Having the correct type of insurance policy in place allows anybody involved in a car accident to be protected and covered.  It allows the driver or anybody else involved in the road traffic accident or any other type of an accident to be able to claim compensation on any personal injury that may have occurred. if you happen to find out that the third party driver had no insurance or incorrect insurance when the road traffic accident occurred you could still be able to claim for compensation on your vehicle damage and personal injury claim.

What if you’re the driver in a road traffic accident (RTA)?

Being the driver in a road traffic collision and claiming for any loss, damage to the vehicle and personal injuries can be distressing, However, the good news is you could make a claim if another person or party was responsible for the accident.  this could mean that the third party who is responsible is another driver, however, this may not be the case and the accident may be caused by the negligent actions of other parties or persons.

In the event of an accident involving a cyclist, motor biker or pedestrian there may be enough sufficient reason to claim on them if later found that they were at fault of the accident even though the offending party may not possess sufficient insurance.

Can I claim for my personal injuries as a passenger in a vehicle (car or customer in a taxi) involved in a road traffic accident (RTA)?

As a passenger who has been involved in a road traffic accident or collision, you can claim for personal injuries that have been experienced in this event.  Generally, passengers are considered blameless casualties that have suffered in the unfortunate event of an accident and experienced injuries at the neglect of other third party’s or drivers. However, failing to conform with the law regarding wearing a seat belt could have an effect on the level of damages received in any accident claims award for the individual.

Somebody must be held responsible and at fault, for you to be able to claim as a passenger, the injuries sustained must have been caused by another motorist, or by road conditions.

You can make a claim if you were injured as a passenger in a car accident, bus or a taxi. Don’t worry, if you weren’t in a road traffic accident as accident injuries can involve pedestrians, cyclist, and motorcyclist.  If your injury was caused by another motorist then the compensation you may receive will be paid by the third party insurance company. 

However, if you were injured by an uninsured driver or involved in a hit and run accident or an accident involving pedestrians, cyclist or motorcyclist then we can still put your accident injury claim to our team as in these cases your accident compensation may be paid by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). 

What can I claim for?

When your case is presented to the insurance company it is put forward with the medical evidence to support your valuation of injuries sustained in the accident. The guidelines are set by the Judicial Studies Board (JSB) to cover all types of injuries sustained in an accident, the insurers may try to negotiate with these figures whilst we argue the case for the highest possible available amount of compensation that you’re entitled to.

General damages cover compensation regarding your physical injury, mental injuries, psychological trauma. However, you can claim for Special Damages which may include:

  • Loss of earnings (income)
  • Vehicle repair damage costs
  • Vehicle Hire costs
  • Medical expenses
  • Damages to Personal Possessions
  • Physiotherapy or Rehabilitation
  • All other cost related to the car accident